Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Random Things That I Have Observed About Me And Our New Home...

  • Since moving to Utah my skin has rebelled. All the sudden I am like a teenager. Not in the "I have no wrinkles, I look good in all clothes and I blush when boys look at me" kind of way. Nope. I am more of the "almost middle aged, have three kids, muffin topping it out of jeans that don't fit, I would be lucky if guys looked at me, I need to find that number for Proactive" kind of way. I have never had bad skin and now all of the sudden I do. I now have strong convictions that there should be a statute of limitations on zits.
  • People in Utah are surprisingly slim. I should not be surprised by this small realization. There are people biking and running all over the place. Which just makes me feel lazy...or very non motivated I am not sure which one.
  • Primping must be a past time for some. Don't get me wrong I am not passing judgement. I primp with the best of them but I also have days where I just don't care. I have seen more people wearing wedges or heels with shorts out at Walmart than I think I have in my entire life. They also all have beautifully manicured toes. Man...I need to up my game.
  • I like shoes. I really like high heeled shoes (for church) I don't wear any other. In fact if my shoes are not the right height I tend to not wear them. I am a short girl and I can use all the height I can get. This is something that is foreign to most people but I tend to pride myself on the fact that I wear heels every Sunday and even when I am 9 months pregnant. I am die hard. In the couple weeks that we have been to our ward I have realized that I may not be alone in this. Dare I say that some people may have me beat.
  • For the most part I am a home body. In Vegas there would be weeks that I would not hang out with anyone or go anywhere. I was OK with that. But since moving here it has bothered me that none of my friends are close. Dare I say depress me a little. What can I say? I at least like to have the option. Anyone want to move to Utah? I realize that you may be miserable here and I am OK with that. I am selfish like that.
  • I am loving the temperature here right now. I don't feel like I am melting like the wicked witch of the west when we go outside.
  • It really is a lovely state.
  • Shopping makes me happy. There is just something to be said about a new shirt or a new pair of shoes. It may be doom and gloom but put on that new shirt and all of the sudden it is rainbows and show tunes. The fact that we can't spend money is making it hard to enjoy a little retail therapy. They say that no matter where you go that the gospel is the same. I think the same could be said of Target. (Yes I just made a gospel/Target reference.)
  • There are random screws around this house and one of the cupboards opens backwards.
  • No matter how much that cupboard bugs me and how many times I curse it...it still opens backwards and I forget every time. Hence the cursing.

11 What do you think?:

Anonymous said...

hA! i love this post. i got a little weepy emailing a friend in utah the other day. i'm right there with you.
i will probably copy this post idea. i'm just that non-original.

Lindsey said...

So funny- I could be selfish like that too. Cause really I would rather you were back here. Amen to the retail therapy. I think I will get some this week.

Mama Thompson said...

I think it took my skin 5 years to adjust to UT...don't mean to depress...I'm just saying...and the skinny girl thing...well, I won't even go there. I will say one thing about high heels and shorts...I have a 2 year-old...nuff said! And you know I can be your friend anytime...you want out of the house...my doors are always open....

The Ashby Family said...

You crack me up! I was noticing all the same things while up there last weekend (big hair, skinny moms all decked out)I have always said that I want to move back, but really I don't know if I could keep up. Come to think of it, is it really any different seeing all the half naked, skinny moms (some fat)down here? Hmmm.

Shadoe said...

Hannah we MISS you too. I Love your blog. I think you are adorable and have a lot on those Utah skinny moms. Hey i heard you live by Ikea and I need some things but they won't ship them:)
Keep your head up and thanks for remembering us Las Vegans melting in the heat.

Chelsey said...

I know I've said this before but you always make me laugh Hannah, and today I needed to laugh. Thank you.

The Foisy's said...

Ah welcome to Utah right? St. George is no different. I'm not going to lie, when I moved down here and took a look around, I thought hmm, I can finally relax. It's actually kind of sad I think that we tend to feel that way down in good ol' Utah. I was one of those girls wearing my big ol' heals to wal-mart but here it just doesn't feel right does it? And if you do wear them, you look like one of those fat naked people someone had mentioned lol. I'm not going to lie, I think I would join you in a heart beat. It's my home, what can I say. I have friends all over that valley and would love to be close to them.

Hildamae said...

Love it! You make me laugh! And I am so with you on the homebody stuff. Don't mind if I don't talk to anyone but my kids somedays. And read a good book ;) Anytime you guys want a get a way, come on up. We can go to Bear Lake or something.

the essentials in life said...

I know exactly what you mean! I on the other hand, didn't even care when I lived up there...I wore what I want (which pretty much was what i wear here). It's too hard to keep up! Besides, your style is perfect! Speaking of moving to UTAH!!! We're not yet, but maybe soon! I'll let you know. I love your blog! Our little neighborhood is not the same without you guys! :)

Lauren said...

I guess everyone has moments when they feel like they don't measure up! :) I have to say though, you are one of those people that alway seems to have it "together." Maybe not heels at Wal-Mart, but does that make sense anyway? Let's be real. I thought you looked fabulous when we got together last and I probably should have told you so! Also, we need to have you guys over soon now that we're back from all our trips!

P.S. I really do use Proactive. It helps a little, but I need a lot of help. :)

Christine said...

I wish I could trade friends or locations with you! I am in LV and have no friends...all of ours are in UT! I would love to move back although that doesn't mean you have to feel any differently about yourself around those primpy, skinny, moms. It's overrated!