Thursday, April 17, 2008

Welcome to Our BIG Ball of Suck!

As some people may know Blake's moms house got broken into about a year ago. The thieves not only took many of her belongings and some personal things but they also have tried to open up credit cards in her name, have opened up bank accounts and most recently filed a tax return in her name. Sucky right?

Blake and I filed our taxes about a month and a half ago and got them back in the mail because we forgot to sign them. So we sent them back in and have been patiently waiting for our money. When we looked on the IRS website and put in our information it said that we should receive our money by April 15. For those of you not up to date April 15th has passed. What is the big deal you ask? It has been bothering me to no end...I am not sure why just bugging me. So today I told Blake to call and see what they said. Much to our surprise someone filed a tax return in Blake's name using his social security number. The good thing is we sent in all of our papers and they know that the other is fraudulent. The bad: they have Blake's social security number, his name, they are not afraid to use it.

On a more interesting note, the person that Blake talked to at the IRS told him all of the information for the person that filed the fraudulent return such as name, address, and phone number. I thought for sure that they would be from Vegas. Nope. They are from Bothell Washington. Their address is 6 minutes from where Blake grew up. Our home town.

If only I were big and could go over to their house and rough them up. You know, give them the peoples elbow, or jab out their eyes. Alas I am not.

Welcome to Sucks Ville for a day or a lifetime. Population our family. Anyone want to come to visit?
(there is a sign when you drive into Bothell that says "Welcome to Bothell for a day or a lifetime." High School kids would always black out the "Bot" in Bothell to make it read "Welcome to Hell for a day or a lifetime.")

One more thing. After Blake's mom got broken into we did put a thing called Lifelock on his SSN so that no one could open up credit cards with his SSN with out us knowing. Thank goodness for the small miracles.

8 What do you think?:

Megan said...

That is INSANE!! I'm still shocked that people can do stuff like that and get away with it. It just seems so easy to catch them! And yet...everybody's doing it! LAME. I'm so sorry!! That is great about the LifeLock though. What a great program. You guys should just make sure to file your taxes first thing every year.

Sarah said...

Oh, that is crazy! I'm so sorry that happened!

Carly said...

Oh I am soooo sorry! I know Dana has been through a lot, I had no idea it would continue on to you guys too. I'm so curious where these people live!!! BAD, BAD, PEOPLE!!!!

{natalie} said...

that totally sucks. i can't believe they have his address and everything. is he in jail now? that's crazy!

Carolyn said...

Boo hoo hoo! That does totally suck! Hopefully those people will be having some bad karma coming their way!

Lindsey said...

That is so frustrating-it makes you so mad especially when there isn't really much you can do about it- so sorry!

Anonymous said...

It's like you're just waiting for something else to happen. we had our credit card numbers stolen and this punk bought college text books with them. niiiiice. good luck getting it cleared up.

Miranda said...

That is soooo bad! I am sorry. Talk about feeling violated. It is scary to think about all of the information people can get and do what ever they want with!