Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down

When we moved to Utah I had no preconceived notions about what winter was going to be like.
I already knew.
I did, however, think that I also had some grasp of what spring and summer where like.
Boy, was I wrong.
I knew that spring time in Utah would be nothing like spring time in Vegas.
I am being honest when I say I was excited about that.
Moving to Utah meant that we could plant a garden.
Not that you can't plant a garden in Vegas (many people I know have fabulous gardens). It is just that in Vegas it is harder. You have to be "garden savvy" in order to make it work and "garden savvy" I am not.
So in anticipation of said garden I planted starts, so that when the weather was nice they could go out into the garden and we would have a head start.
One afternoon we planted our garden.
And then...
it snowed.
Since planting our garden it has snowed 6 times.
Mind you, that is all in the month of April.
My sister told us that here in Utah they don't plant their garden until after Mother's day.
Well, that would have been useful information prior to planting our garden. Surprisingly our garden has survived fairly well. There are a couple of plants that had died, so we replanted those on Mother's day.
For the last two days it has been raining.
Heavily. All. The. Time.I am crossing my fingers that it doesn't drown our poor little garden. One thing that evidently thrives in this kind of weather is dandy lions.
The kids love them.
They like to hold them under your chin to see if you like butter.
I also have my jalapenos, tomatoes, and herbs growing inside until it is nice enough to move them out.
Luckily they have a big window that gives them a lot of sun and Canon has only played in the dirt twice. I do feel a little bit like a crazy old plant lady with all of my potted plants lined up on the floor.
My Grandma Tame would be so proud.
Or just think that we have a lot in common.

7 What do you think?:

Lindsey said...

Domestic goddess you, I knew you had skills, but since you moved you have kicked things up a notch. First with all the sewing and now with the gardening. Quite impressive.

Chelsey said...

I can totally relate. I too forgot what springtime was like in other places that are not Las Vegas and attempted to plant some things in late March - oops! Some have survived and some have not. Next year, I'll wait until May.

Chelsey said...

I can totally relate. I too forgot what springtime was like in other places that are not Las Vegas and attempted to plant some things in late March - oops! Some have survived and some have not. Next year, I'll wait until May.

Lauren said...

Go Hannah! We are in the same boat with the adjustment to Utah springs... although this spring is even slower and colder than ever! All of the plants and trees are way behind! Good idea to grow everything inside for awhile. You should be good now, although it couldn't hurt to wait another week! I lost a tomato while we were in Idaho over the weekend.

I love that picture of little footprints in the snow. Cute.

{natalie} said...

I did the same thing. I put my starts outside for some sunshine and forgot to bring them in and they froZe that night. Boo.

I really hope spring comes soon. Last year it rained for the whole month of June.

Mama Thompson said...

don't think you are lame...mine are lined up under my window too! I've learned from too many years of dead flowers....patience...patience...want to plant...NO...wait...patience...it sucks!

Megan said...

When I saw all of your pots lined up, I totally thought of Grandma Tame. The other thing that reminds me of her is the smell of vitamins and lots of bowls on the counter.