Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Business Of Picking Berries

Our trip to Washington was a blast. Be prepared for an onslaught of pictures.


We did a little bit of lounging around. Barbies were played with daily. Mallets were pounded but nothing or no one was injured...that I know of anyways. We also went and picked some blueberries. I thought for sure that the kids would loose interest after about 10 minutes, but they surprised me and were hard core.Everyone grabbed some pails, and the picking began. We take berry picking very seriously at our house. Child labor laws be damned. Some kids took the "go out and get 'em" approach. Others contemplated their berry picking skills and progressed onward at the appropriate pace. Some were meticulous. Then there were those that ate them as soon as they were off the bush. Heck, that little girl grabbed them so fast and ate them that you had to be careful she didn't eat a finger. All the kids were determined to fill their bucket. Canon got so excited about the amount of berries in his bucket that he came to show us. Slow down bud. This cannot end well. I would just like to point out that I think this was the point of no return for Canon. Falling was the catalyst for a bad remaining picking experience. Poor kid just needed a win. His bucket was empty most of the time. The few berries that were in there I picked and put them in. Instead of picking he decided to spend his time eating. By the handful. Smart kid. His little sister followed suit. When it was time to leave he was....devastated. Gavin and Laney had filled up their buckets about half way and his only had a few in it. There was screaming, and crying, and at one point he threw himself down in the middle of the road by an outhouse in protest. Then we pointed out the turkeys. No one can be mad after looking at one of those weird looking birds. When you look at their ugly faces, your problems seem so small.

5 What do you think?:

Lindsey said...

Oh, I love this. I miss your humor. I think I will make the turkey statement my new motto.

{natalie} said...

berry picking seems very fun. we haven't done it. i think my kids would eat most of them before we paid.

Chelsey said...

My kids love to pick berries too, but we didn't get to go this year, bummer! You got to be glad we have no resemblance to turkeys.

Lori said...

Cute pics, as per Unguren-Usual. Sooooo, we must have just missed each other in Washington ... was that on purpose or do you think maybe the next time you guys go up, you could have your secretary call my secretary and we could perhaps coordinate a little better? :)

grandma dana said...

Do you have the book, 'Blueberries for Sal'? If not, I will send it to you as it was and still is a favorite in our home...kerplink, kerplank, kerplunk!