Thursday, May 24, 2012

Curry and Canning

Those two things really have nothing in common.
I have thought it through and the only thing I can think of is the letter C. Oh, and that they both involve cooking of some sort. But if we are being honest, and I think we are, we should all agree that those are some weak similarities.
Now, I am not expecting a standing ovation but if you feel so inclined I won't stop you...after all, one can never have enough praise. 
But I made the Chicken Tikka Masala.
Quite frankly it had all the makings of a disaster. After all I had special ordered spices
and made my own Ghee. 
At one point in all of the times I had made Curry Blake actually said "How about you don't make curry anymore? It just never turns out very good." 
With that vote of confidence I decided to give it one more go. Because I am nothing if not determined. It was a somewhat lengthy process.
In the end it was worth it. It was by far the best Chicken Tikka Masala that I have had outside of a restaurant.     

For Mother's Day this year I got a canner. 
Most people would probably not be happy about this. 
I was ecstatic. 
I have wanted a pressure canner for ages. Since I had sent some not so subtle hints I was pretty sure I was going to get one. Blake came through.
So far I have canned pinto beans
and garbonzo beans.
I also thought that I would can some hominy. Until I looked up directions online and found out that you have to use food grade lye to do so.
I might still try it. 
I guess I have to decide how much I like my skin first.
The same time that I picked up the dried beans from Winco I also bought a lot of pineapples. They were on sale for $.99 each. I was going to cut them up and freeze them but then I had a moment of clarity and looked up how to can them instead. They turned out really good. 
I can't say the same for my apricots. They are mush city. 
Oh well. 
I am still a work in progress.

3 What do you think?:

Lindsey said...

Quite impressive- if I say I stood up and gave you a standing ovation would you believe me? Still impressive anyway.

{natalie} said...

ahhhh, i love tikka masala. and curry in general i guess. i'm so glad it turned out for you. look up the butter chicken on bakedbree.com and make it. it's really good. did you see costco has jarred tikka masala sauce right now? i just picked some up for when i don't have time to make it from scratch (or don't want to)

i bet the pineapple is great. what do you do with beans now that they are canned? i mean, how do you eat them?

Samantha said...

You are so ambitious in the kitchen! I'm horrible. But I am interested in getting a pressure canner. What one did you get?