Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Pinterest, Blogs and Other Inspiration

I know that I am not alone in the love/hate relationship I have with Pinterest.
On one hand there is just a whole lot of information, pictures, ideas, crafts, and food. 
On the other...it isn't that original if you find something on there.
Some things are a hit and a some are a miss.
Cute? Yes. Colorful? Yes. Tasty? Not even a little bit.
I got most of our teacher appreciation gifts and end of the year gift ideas from random websites.
This is what I made for Gavin's teachers.
Including a French variation for his French teacher.
Actually Blake printed out one for me that I may use as a Christmas countdown this year.

Since Laney's teachers weren't sure if they were going to be teaching next year you treated them with candy stuffed into soda bottles.
A variation of this idea.
I also made a Chrysanthemum Mirror. 
I originally got the idea from this blog, but I have seen it on Pinterest too.
It wasn't terribly difficult to make, just a little time consuming and frustrating at times. 
After I had hand painted all of the spoons I decided that I wanted it to have a little bit of sheen to it so I chose to spray paint it with a clear gloss. 
I chose poorly. 
The spray paint made the paint wrinkle up. It was a very sad day. Although you can't tell unless you get up close to it.
Another project that I just made came from a trip we took months ago to Las Vegas. when we were there we went to Anthropologie. On the wall inside the store were nails with yarn wrapped around them spelling out "Home Sweet Home." I was so enamored with it. I just thought it was so cute. So, I bought some finishing nails so that I could do something similar at our house. Months went by and then I painted our upstairs and didn't want to ruin the new paint by putting a bunch of nail holes in the wall. So imagine my delight when I came across this pin on Pinterest.
They used a pallet as the back to the letters instead of using the wall. Well, I didn't have a spare pallet but I did have a old part of a fence to use. 
I painted it, and this last weekend Blake cut it and hung it for me.
For now it is happily in our living room. 
Sitting beside it are some vases I made, by pouring paint into them.
I am always surprised at how creative people can be. 
I am not very good at thinking up things on my own, but like my Mom always says "I'm a good copier."

3 What do you think?:

Lori said...

I love, love, love that Home Sweet Home sign ... and your wicked style ... whether it's your idea or someone else's ... not important. ;) p.s. I also admire your carelessness with regard to Swimmer's Itch.

{natalie} said...

I love the yarn/nail project. Anthropologie always has the best displays. That spoon mirror is pretty cool.

Unknown said...

You are simply marvelous my friend!
Andra