Thursday, July 07, 2011

The Whole Rig-A-Ma-Roll

Well, that was an unexpected hiatus. What can I say? Such is life I guess.

Our 4th of July was fun. I have to admit that the 4th of July is probably one of my least favorite holidays. I don't really like fireworks. They are loud, which is fine if you are the one lighting them off but is kind of annoying when you are the one trying to sleep, and they make dogs bark which just kind of adds to the noise. Growing up we didn't really light off fireworks. My uncle blew off some of his fingers when he was younger and I am sure that had some influence on my Mom and I am sure that the fact that fireworks are not cheap was the major influence with my Dad. I do love a good barbecue though, and I appreciate any reason to get together with friends. So I suppose it isn't a total bust of a holiday.

When the kids woke up in the morning the first thing they wanted to do was run through the sprinklers. Mind you it was 73 degrees out side and 8:00 in the morning. Have at it kids. They couldn't have been happier.There was running and jumping laughing and playing.Then reality hit. It was cold. Never mind the fact that Laney has a Donald Trump comb over in this picture. When you are cold you just don't care.Canon was sure that his siblings were crazy. But thought he should give them the benefit of the doubt. So he ran down the side walk as close to the sprinklers as you can get with out actually getting wet. Little concave chest screaming as he went.Blake really wanted to buy some fireworks this year. When he was asking me what I thought about that we had a conversation that went a little something like this:

B: I think it would be really fun for the kids to have some fireworks to set off.

H: If you wanna. They are expensive.

B: I think it would be fun.

H: You know how when I buy shoes or a dress that is $60 and you cringe a little on the inside?

B: Yeah.

H: That is how it is with you buying fireworks...only I don't light my dress and shoes on fire.

I would like to think that my scenario had a lasting effect but, the pyro in Blake won out.

So, we had our friends the Wheelers over, ate some burgers, played some games, had some ice cream then went into the front yard and lite some fireworks off before it was even dark.

We let Penny chew on the fireworks so that she could get in on the action. That is the kind of solid parenting skills that we possess. We also let Canon light off a few (with the help of Blake). We like to start our kids on the road to being a pyro as early as we can. Once again...solid parenting. It was the picture of perfection. Laney even went so far as to state "This is the best day ever. Just like Rapunzel."

Little did she know that at midnight Blake would start to throw up, then she started to throw up at 2, then Gavin at around 4 a.m. and then me at 9. Blake joked at midnight after he had thrown up ON the toilet "bet you didn't think you were going to do some extreme bathroom cleaning?" And he would be right.

The flu only lasted for 24 hours and we are all feeling back to normal. I managed to drop 4 lbs. in one day which is a feet in and of itself.

So was it the best day ever? Probably pretty close.

6 What do you think?:

Kati said...

Wow, what a day! I think I have to agree with you about the fireworks and your clothes/shoes...that's funny!

Lindsey said...

Oh man- that is no fun to get sick like that. I was wondering what happened to ya. I was getting worried. Gavin looks so old in that first picture. Man, they have grown up.

Jaymerz said...

I should try the firework and shoe/dress logic with Rob. I don't mind them but don't like spending the money on them :). Sorry about the flu though, YUCK!!

Mama Thompson said...

I'm with you on the loud noise when you are trying to sleep thing...however, I'm with Blake on the purchasing and lighting some yourself...David, on the other hand is not. However...because he always gets annoyed with the money and "lighting that money on fire" thing I didn't buy any this year...just a few sparklers and a couple cheap cheesy things (I probably spent $5)...and after that $5 was burned he said, "oh...well, I guess it would have been fun if you had bought a few things:) Nice!

{natalie} said...

I love the 4th but I do not like when people set off fireworks when it's super late at night.

So sorry to hear about the barfing. That's the worst.

Angie Lee said...

"I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight..." best line in Devil Wears Prada